My second date from Match-a-rama was with Clark the guy who freaked out when I mentioned CS Lewis.
I must preface this by saying that Match.com is this ridiculous, not efficient way, time-consuming way to meet a single, normal, Jesus-following man. It is an open search and most everyone checks a "religious" box, regardless if you would actually pray, go to church, meditate, etc. Unlike E-Harmony you do not have the ability to prioritize that box checking. EH will allow you to weight the importance of religious compatibility and note how frequently you go to church and other relevant criteria. On Match, you can just check the box and that's it. So I find a lot of my work is finding out if they are actually REAL Christians. Granted, I would never initiate contact with someone who didn't at least note a Christian belief, but I find it takes a bit to email back and forth and figure it out.
So with that being said, it was particularly exciting when Clark perked up that I mentioned CS Lewis and immediately asked if I went to church and noted that he did. The next email dug a little deeper in a confession that he's looking for a Christian woman who will be on fire for God. This was a huge breath of fresh air!
He called yesterday while I was out shopping with Chris and Sarah and asked me to coffee on Sunday after church. I'm not a huge fan of coffee dates, but understand not every date needs to include cocktails, dramatic eye make-up, and my new over-the-knee boots. Perhaps we can have a very sincere conversation and actually get to know one another.
Novel thought.
We met at a coffee shop after church today and I could tell he was quite nervous. I once again reminded myself, that much like wild animals, they [men] are more scared of me than I am of them, which put me at ease immediately. I believe his hand was actually shaking when he first sat down and put his keys in his pocket. Precious. Since the verdict is out on this one, I'll keep it simple, but he was clearly VERY nervous the whole time, but there could be decent stuff there once he's comfortable. He asked if I would like to go to dinner so perhaps a second date will be better. I'm a tad concerned that our lifestyles and goals are a bit different, but it was just one date. I do want to sincerely get to know each person I'm on a date with and not decide too quickly what I think. And while things are not always "deal breakers", they're also not "deal makers", and can be a tad distracting.
No comments:
Post a Comment