February 14, 2011

My First Time: Having a career I'm excited about

It only took 7 years, 1 month, and 22 days to be in a career I'm actually excited about and a job that I feel as though I can truly uses my skill sets.

Last week I was offered a promotion as the new (and only) Corporate Trainer for Merchandising and Planning at our company. My primary responsibility will be creating a training program for the college recruits we're hiring. I'll take these new grads through a 26 week program, cross-training them on all areas of business and systems, and helping them develop a career path. This combines my love of retail, my knowledge of the business, and my desire to develop people.

I have my work cut out for me though! We are building this from scratch! Not to mention I'll need to learn a new set of skills such as refining my public speaking abilities, facilitating, writing material, teaching, training, and doing all of it with confidence. :-)

But I am so thrilled for this opportunity and feel so blessed that this feel in my lap! And I am excited to finally get out of the world of finance and analysis, where I always felt a tad "stuck".

I officially start in 2 weeks, so I better get back to finishing my 'to do' list so I can hand my work off to the next person!

Saturday night some friends and I went out to celebrate at a delicious restaurant. We also had another friend who got a job this last week, so it was a double work celebration!

2 comments:

  1. You should talk to Travis - used to be a trainer for several software companies including designing a training program for trainers at his last company! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so exciting! I'm sure you will love the new responsibilities and excel at it. And who knows - maybe you'll meet a cute new recruit :)

    ReplyDelete