January 1, 2011

Bachelor #5: The Soft Spoken Gent

Today was my 5th date with a new person off Match-a-rama.  I am surprised with my stamina thus far and wondering when I will hit my "wall" and be tired of the first date and the "get to know you questions" that are all too familiar.  Perhaps it is because I know I spent money on a three month membership so there will be an end date to these dates, or perhaps it because I sincerely hope that one of them results in a decent connection. 

After five dates with five strangers in five weeks I still have yet to feel any sort of click or be engaged in a conversation. Today's coffee date was with a Christian man who I could tell from our emails was extremely sincere and a good person.  His emails appeared high energy and eager, however, in person his demeanor was very reserved. I could not tell if he was shy, nervous, introverted, or just quiet, but he was very soft spoken and did not easily chat. We definitely covered "the list" of questions you apparently ask a first date when you have run out of actual conversation and clearly need to continue talking.

I often take that as a bad sign since I rarely struggle to chat with strangers, but then again, maybe this was just off to a slow start and needs more time.

Since we shared the same passion for the Lord, I was hoping the connection, or least conversation would have been a tad more enticing and encouraging, but unfortunately I found myself bored and the two hour date felt like it lasted forever.  He did ask if I would like to go out again, but I do not know if I am interested in having another date.  On one hand, I know he's a good guy and we have a shared belief, but on the another hand, just because someone possesses those two things doesn't mean that is enough.

I think I am very surprised with how "stiff" and "solemn" my dates have been.  No one has been particularly laid back, engaging, funny, outgoing, or entertaining. Everything has been a very formal exchange in conversation and more often than not, revolving around the same topics. And I have dated enough to know that while first dates can be a bit nerve racking, they also can be fun and enjoyable. 

Bachelor #6 has asked if I'm free next week, so hopefully I can cross paths with him since he's already been quite funny in his emails.

Fingers crossed...

1 comment:

  1. Dating is hard work (I'm serious), keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete