July 22, 2015

Dating with grace and getting in the last word

It is hard to date with grace at times. Well, often times, especially when things don't always go well. Pride and self-preservation kick in extremely quickly at any sign of disappointment, rejection, or grayness. Last night's text conversation proved that. It was hard to be gracious when I really wanted to "stick it to him" and let him know that I am dating other people and he reminded me of my ex and for all the less than flattering reasons. I withheld that, but I could tell he was also struggling with trying to be gracious and yet somehow managed to deliver grace in a condescending way, which wasn't that graceful. It was disappointing to say the least and it would have been best to have never heard from him at all. 

The background story is that we had a second date last Monday, text a little on Tuesday and then nothing for a week...

He's nice and loves Jesus, but I could tell he wasn't a good conversationalist and not a good communicator and I was already at peace with not having a third date because I could tell critical things were missing. The below text convo clearly demonstrates his communicator style. ;-)

Mike: Hi Kari

4 hours later I replied since I was at a friend's house 
Kari: Hi Mike

pause, pause....

Mike: Hello there!
Mike: I just wanted to apologize
Mike: I've been searching my heart this past week

pause....13 minutes goes by [sheesh, dude, just say it....]

Kari: I feel like you are trying to say something...

Mike: I just want to be honest with you
Mike: I don't know if I am a good match for you

Kari: I feel the same way. I'm looking for solid communication and the fact that I had to bait this conversation is disappointing. But I think you're a good guy and hope you find a good fit.

Mike: I really am sorry Kari
Mike: You are truly an Amazing Woman
Mike: God has someone very special in mind for you! Its just not me.

Kari: I really feel the same way and we aren't a match, so there's nothing to be sorry about. I'm not upset. I had fun and it was nice to meet you. Good luck with your search.

Mike: Thanks Kari. I wish you all the best.

Ugh. Gag. Clearly he didn't know how to just say what he thought or felt. I dislike those responses from men...they try to be all godly, but really they're hiding behind their faith and using it as an excuse. I didn't have the heart to tell him I was on date #2 and #3 with two other men (hence my grace and getting in the last word...). I'm fine buddy, I'm fine. 

What did I learn? Always trust those gut reactions in the very beginning (his first email to me revealed similar things that I saw in the text above)...it doesn't mean they're always right, but they are very insightful and worth noting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment